THE PERFECT SUMMER PICNIC WITH SUSAN HWANG!
SUMMER PICNIC SEASON HAS ARRIVED! WE WERE SUPER EXCITED WHEN SUSAN HWANG, RACHEL’S COLLEGE FRIEND AND AUTHOR OF RACHEL’S FAVORITE FOOD BLOG (KIMCHI CON QUESO), AGREED TO WRITE ABOUT SOME OF HER FAVORITE PICNIC-FRIENDLY TREATS! CHECK OUT HER PICKS BELOW AND HEAD OVER SUSAN’S BLOG FOR TONS MORE YUMMY SUMMERTIME IDEAS!
Summer Picnics To Go
It’s summertime in LA! That means it’s time to enjoy the outdoors and soak up all this glorious weather with friends, fun… and food! Whether you’re hitting the beach, playing in the park, enjoying a concert at the Hollywood Bowl, or watching a movie at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, you can make meal planning a breeze by leaving the food prep to professionals. Here are some spots where you can order picnic boxes to go:
1. Cube The cheese, salumi, and panini offerings are to be expected from this regional Italian eatery & marketplace, but fried chicken? Oh yea. The fried chicken is spicy and delicious, and you can get it bundled up in a picnic basket with an heirloom tomato and peach salad and strawberry shortcake dessert.
2. The Oaks Gourmet Uncork a bottle of vino from a picnic basket by the folks at The Oaks Gourmet. Order a “Terrace Box” for you and your date, which comes stocked with two sandwiches, a salad, two bags of chips, a bottle of wine, two wine glasses and a corkscrew. Bring back the re-useable basket for another picnic and get a 10% discount off your package.
3. Joan’s On Third This well-established gourmet marketplace is chock full of picnic-worthy edibles. Luckily, Joan’s makes it easy with a summer picnic menu that even includes wine selections. If you want to venture off-menu, choose from deli favorites like the turkey meatloaf sandwich or curried chicken salad.
4. Clementine If you haven’t had a chance to stop by this neighborhood bakery-café for breakfast or lunch, take things to-go by ordering from their Hollywood Bowl picnic menu. For sandwiches, try the rare roast beef or the prosciutto and brie on a French baguette. Be sure to indulge in some excellent freshly-baked pastries and sweets, like the banana cream pie, which is one of the best in LA!
5. Susan Feniger’s Street Susan Feniger will send you off on your LA outing with a sampling of world flavors within a bento box consisting of a side, entrée & sweet. Choose from options such as a Burmese melon salad, Malaysian stir-fry noodles and coconut curry caramel corn.
6. The Cheese Store of Silverlake Calling all cheese lovers! Just call the knowledgeable staff at the Cheese Store to fill your picnic basket up with a beautiful assortment of cheeses, alongside pates, salami, olives, cornichons and a baguette.